Put Your Survival Plan into Action!
Disaster preparedness start with the positive attitude
Being involved in a natural disaster is unfortunate, however, if we face it with the RIGHT attitude, the Danger will become Opportunity.
In the process of disaster preparedness, a person might be undergoing some mental changes that will lead to either over-reaction or even non-responsive. The development of proactive or negative reaction is depends on whether they receive the RIGHT information from the RIGHT person with the RIGHT guidance.
Step 1 – To Understand
The first step in disaster preparedness is we need to understand:
- The type of natural disaster that we might face
- The type of disaster with different level of risk, their occurence frequency, their speed of destruction
Step 2 – To Plan
From anxiety to facing the natural disaster, people need to have the bravery and positive attitude. It is not the end of the world when the disaster hit, if we are physically and mentally prepared.
“What can I do when the big natural disaster hit?” – people tend to ask this type of question after knowing more about their disaster risk.
“You need to find a safer place or evacuate.” – however, to evacuate safely needs some knowledge on your living environment and the potential danger it post during the evacuation.
That’s why planning play an important factor in determine the successful evacuation.
- Step 1: The safest evacuation route during disaster. You might need to plan a few routes for different situations and different kind of disaster.
- Step 2: Identify the possible danger posted in each evacuation route, e.g. electric wire, failing objects, stairs, walls, electrical pole, etc.
- Step 3: Draw the plan, discuss with your family members
- Step 4: Identify the meeting place if lost during evacuation
Step 3 – To Prepare
It is time to prepare for the emergency goods that you need to bring along during the evacuation. On top of that, you will also need to prepare the emergency goods if you and your family are trap in the house for a longer period. Some minimum supply of water and foods need be prepared in the house for at least one week of supply.
- Personal Emergency Kit – for the preparation during evacuation. Prepare at least 3 days of supply.
- Family Emergency Kit – for the supply during staying indoor. Prepare at least 1 week of supply.
For more details about the item in the personal and family emergency kit, you can refer to the check list available HERE.
Step 4 – To Act
After preparing the plan, you will need to practice with your family member regarding the planned routes. Take a walk with them along the route. Observe what are the potential danger along the route. After the walk, you might need to replan the evacuation route, repeat the same practice again.
On top of the evacuation route, you also need to walk to the planned meeting place.