The Star, 20 Nov 2014
KUALA TERENGGANU: The flood situation in Terengganu remains the same with a slight drop of 2,503 victims reported compared to 2,543 on Wednesday afternoon in the four affected districts.
According to the Terengganu National Security Council, 15 evacuation centres were still opened up to 9am Thursday.
It said Kuala Terengganu has the highest number of victims evacuated so far with 1,633 individuals from 413 families and 10 evacuation centres being opened in the district.
The evacuation centres are Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Chendering, SK Kompleks Gong Badak, SK Gong Tok Nasek, SK Tok Jiring, SK Tok Jembal, SK Bukit Petiti, SK Bukit Nenas, SK Tanjung Gelam, SK Teluk Ketapang and SK Atas Tol.
This is followed by the Marang district with 851 individuals (206 families) currently being placed at the Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Seri Payong and SK Rusila.
In Setiu 16 victims from five families are currently staying at the Kampung Sungai Lerek community hall and Rhu Tapai community hall while in Besut nine individuals from two families are being accomodated at the Kampung Beris Pak Abu community hall and Surau SK Beting Lintang.
Meanwhile in Kota Baru, survey revealed that floodwaters were starting to rise in several low-lying areas with residents staying near Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas reminded to take precautionary measures.
According to the Kelantan state government official portal, the water level at Sungai Golok recorded a reading of 9.02 metres as at 9am, which breached the dangerous level of 9 metres.
A spokesman from the Kelantan Fire and Rescue Services also said 59 flood victims were still at the two evacuation centres at Pasir Puteh and Kota Baru.
Another 25 victims were currently placed at Sekolah Kebangsaan Wakaf Raja, Pasir Puteh while 34 at Sekolah Kebangsaan Tiong here. – Bernama