165 Tenggelu folk evacuated as water rises

The Star, 3 Dec 2013

MERSING: For Tenggelu mukim chief Mohd Adam Ahmad, the call came at around 5am.

“It was shocking. I rushed out, knocking on doors of the villagers to warn them about the rising water,” he said, adding that police and Civil Defence Department officers accompanied him in alerting the 165 residents of the flood.

“It took us about six hours to evacuate everyone,” he said. “We had to help the elderly and small children,” he said, adding that by the time the last villager was brought to a relief centre, the water was knee deep.

“We have experienced floods before, but you just never get used to it,” he said of the seasonal floods that began to hit parts of Johor and Pahang with the start of the northeast monsoon.

Mohd Adam said should the weather not improve within the next two days, it would take at least a week before the water begins to subside.

“I am just praying for the rain to stop,” he said.

State welfare department director Khatijah Abdullah said four flood relief centres had been opened in Mersing, and another two in Segamat.

“Currently, we have 491 people placed at the centres and are fully prepared if the number increases,” she said.

In Labis, over 120 people from 23 households in Kampung Sungai Gatom and Kampung Usaha Jaya have been evacuated to two relief centres after water from Sungai Labis and Sungai Karas overflowed into the villages in the morning.

Tenang flood relief committee chairman Mohd Azahar Ibrahim said 81 people had been evacuated to Kampung Sungai Gatom multipurpose hall and 40 people to the Kampung Usaha Jaya hall.

At 4pm yesterday, another flood relief centre was opened in Labis, sheltering 75 people from Kampung Merah Lama.

In Kuantan, Bernama reported that 52 people from four villages in the Rompin district were evacuated to relief centres after water level rose to a metre high.

Rompin OCPD DSP Ahmad Johari Jahaya said the villages affected were Kampung Pertat, Kampung Kurnia, Kampung Pianggu and Kampung Kerpal.

The Sungai Charu bridge at KM28 of the road from Kuantan to Sungai Lembing town was also closed to vehicles after coming under a metre of water.