The Star, 26 Dec 2012
KUALA LUMPUR: The situation in three East Coast states inundated by floods has worsened with the number of victims moved in Kelantan, Pahang and Terengganu rising Wednesday morning.
According to the official portals of the three states, the latest figure of victims moved was 13,746 people compared with 11,429 Tuesday night.
In Kelantan, 4,127 victims were recorded in the morning compared with about 3,000 Tuesday night and in Pahang, 3,196 people compared with 2,329, while in Terengganu, it was 6,550 compared with 6,100.
The victims in Kelantan comprised 1,171 families placed at 43 relief centres including Pasir Mas (2,781 people), Kuala Krai (415), Tanah Merah (296), Kota Baru (260), Tumpat (80) and Machang (47).
The water level at Sungai Golok in Jenob, Tanah Merah dropped to the warning level but the reading of the river at Rantau Panjang still exceeded the danger mark.
Sungai Kelantan at the Guillemard Bridge, Tanah Merah was also above the danger level. The levels of other rivers were still at the warning mark.
The Free Trade Zone in Rantau Panjang opposite the Sungai Golok was reported to be still under water from the spillover of the river, allowing only heavy vehicles to the area.
No major roads were closed to vehicles and no loss of life had been reported in Kelantan to date, with the weather overcast and heavy regular downpours.
Meanwhile, the number of flood victims continued to rise in Pahang when 2,913 people were moved to 15 relief centres in Kuantan, Rompin and Pekan Wednesday.
According to the Pahang police flood operations room spokesman, as of 9am, four districts in Pahang were reported to be flooded.
“A total 206 people from Kampung Cenderawasih, Kalong and Sungai Miang were moved to SK Sinar Mutiara in Pekan while Rompin district also opened one relief centre at the Lentang community hall to accommodate 57 people from the Kampung Perpat relief centre which was inundated.
“Jerantut is the latest district to record victims being moved to relief centres with 20 flood victims from Kampung Pagi who were placed at the Kampung Pagi mosque,” he said.
He said the Sungai Lembing-Kuantan Road was closed to all vehicles, namely, at KM16, KM28, KM30 and the Sungai Charu Bridge to Sungai Lembing.
In Terengganu, the state government flood portal reported, to date, the highest number of flood victims moved were in Hulu Terengganu district (1,499 people), followed by Besut (1,906), Dungun (1,464), Kemaman (982), Kuala Terengganu (807), Setiu (717) and Marang (285).
To date, a total 104 relief centres were still operating namely in Hulu Terengganu (18), Besut (16), Dungun (18), Kemaman (16), Kuala Terengganu (eight), Setiu (18) and Marang (10).
The portal also reported that all major roads heading to Kota Baru and Kuantan were now open to all vehicles.
Terengganu recorded its first death from the floods Tuesday when a woman drowned after she slipped while putting up a net to catch fish with her husband at Sungai Lanjut near the Permaisuri Bridge at 3pm. – Bernama