The Star, 25 Dec 2012
KUALA LUMPUR: The flood situation in Terengganu, Kelantan and Pahang worsened on Tuesday with more than 6,000 victims relocated to higher places.
A total of 2,594 victims (from 1,301 on Monday) were now seeking shelter in Terengganu while 1,963 (from 1,000) were moved in Kelantan.
In Pahang, the National Security Council flood portal said 1,743 victims were recorded compared to 915 a day earlier while the number of flood victims in Johor this morning remained at 16 people.
In Kelantan, Kuala Krai saw the most number of flood victims moved at 907, followed by Tanah Merah (314), Kota Baharu (295), Pasir Puteh (225), Pasir Mas (116), Machang (100) and Tumpat (six).
The Kelantan River at the Guillemard Bridge in Tanah Merah, Golok River in Jenob, Tanah Merah and in Rantau Panjang were now still above the danger levels despite being reported as having dropped slightly due to the absence of rain since last night.
The readings at major rivers, nevertheless, were still at the warning levels.
No major roads were closed to vehicles and no loss of life had been reported, to date. The weather in Kelantan is currently downcast.
In Terengganu, the highest number of victims were in the district of Besut at 1,096 people followed by Setiu (461), Dungun (317), Kemanan (251), Marang (224), Hulu Terengganu (154) and Kuala Terengganu (91).
Kemaman was the last district to experience flood yesterday evening after low lying areas were inundated.
A total 52 flood relief centres were now open all over Terengganu.
Meanwhile in Besut, the chairman of the District Flood Disaster Operations Committee, A Rahim Jusoh said the rumour that the Paya Beda Dam in Hulu Besut had broken was not true.
A Rahim, who is also the Besut District Officer, said what transpired was that water had spilled over the dam resulting in several areas in the district being rapidly inundated.
He called on the people not to be alarmed by the rumour because the situation was now under control and the residents affected in the area were found to be safe.
“In fact, several villages which were previously not affected by the floods were inundated including Kampung Gong Duek Darau, Tanjung Alir, Kg Lubok Kawah and Balik Bukit,” he said when contacted by Bernama. – Bernama