News: Strong winds and high waves forecast in South China Sea

The Star, 21 Dec 2012

PETALING JAYA: The world may not be ending soon, but life is starting to get a little less comfortable as weather patterns worsen.

Activities in the waters off the South China Sea are expected to be risky for at least a couple of days, due to very strong monsoon winds and rough seas.

“Very strong winds and rough seas are forecast in the east coast, Sabah and Sarawak, which is dangerous to all coastal and shipping activities, including fishing and small ferry services,” the Malaysian Meteorological Department said in a statement yesterday.

Strong northeasterly wind with a speed of 50kph to 60kph with waves up to 4.5m in height are expected to hit the waters off Kelantan, Terengganu, Samui, Con-dore, Reef North, Layang-Layang and Palawan until Jan 3.

In the same period, strong winds with a speed of 40kph to 50kph with waves up to 3.5m are forecast in waters off Pahang, East Johor, Tioman, interior of Sabah, the West Coast, Kudat and Sandakan in Sabah, Labuan, Sarawak, Bunguran, Reef South and Sulu.

Coastal areas in Kelantan, Tereng-ganu, Pahang and east Johor are also vulnerable to rising sea waters until next Wednesday.

Klang Valley residents are in for a rough few days, too, as rainy days are predicted.

Weather-forecast.com said Kuala Lumpur, Petaling Jaya, Shah Alam and Klang would experience heavy rain over the next seven days, with the heaviest rain in the later part of the week.

World Weather Online on its wesbite also predicted mostly rainy weather in the city until Jan 5, with generally light winds.

In Johor, flash floods have hit Kampung Baru Datuk Ghani Othman, worsened by an ongoing development project near the Pengerang area.

According to village head Tahir Aris, 59, the flood occurred at around 6.30pm on Wednesday evening after a downpour that lasted more than 30 minutes.

About 59 victims are now staying at Dewan Kampung Baru Datuk Ghani Othman.

“Most of the 34 houses in the village were affected,” he said.

Tahir blamed the flood on the ongoing relocation of residents affected by the Pengerang Integrated Petroleum Complex (PIPC).

He added that this was the first time in seven years the village had been hit.

“The reclamation around our village has caused the drains to be blocked,” he said.

Kota Tinggi deputy OCPD Dept Supt Law Hang Seng said the flood situation in the village was expected to improve in a few days time.

According to the National Secu-rity Council, Johor is the only state hit by floods so far with two relief centres being opened in Batu Pahat and Kota Tinggi.

There are 22 families seeking shelter at SK Sri Bandan and 15 at SK Kota Dalam both in Batu Pahat.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/12/21/nation/12491417&sec=nation