The Star, 11 November 2012
KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian National Space Agency (Angkasa) has refuted a rumour circulating via social media claiming that the world will be in darkness for three days from Dec 23 during the alignment of the universe.
The report stated that during the cosmic alignment of the Sun, Earth and the centre of the galaxy, thick dust clouds would block the night-time view of the Milky Way, hence creating what was called a “total blackout”.
Angkasa, in a statement here Sunday, said the rumour was not true as the Earth was 165 quadrillion miles from the Milky Way’s black hole, and that the effect of the gravity would be too small.
“The thick dust clouds will block our view of the Milky Way, but not block the Sun from being seen from the Earth,” the statement said.
The statement also said a video clip posted by the American National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on YouTube, showing its officer, Charles F.Bolden Jr, advising NASA personnel on family preparedness in case of emergency, such as the 911 tragedy, hurricane and earthquake, had been abused by certain quarters.
“Those quarters had been manipulating the video by coming up with an article title saying that NASA predicts total blackout on earth on Dec 23, 24 and 25,” the statement said. – Bernama