News: Flood situation improves in Perak, Malacca, Johor

The Star, 7 November 2012

JOHOR BARU: A total of 1,846 flood victims are still residing at temporary relief centres while a total of 743 have been allowed to return to their homes.

Statistics from the State Welfare Department show an improvement with two relief centres, one in Batu Pahat and the other in Kluang closed and victims allowed to head back to their homes on Wednesday.

A total of 24 relief centres located in Batu Pahat, Kluang and Ledang however remain open.

There have been no casualties or road closures due to the floods so far.

According to Bernama, in IPOH, the number of flood victims sheltered at Sekolah Kebangsaan Changkat Jong and a multipurpose hall here dropped to 192 as of 9 am today from 278 on Tuesday.

Flood victims from Kampung Selabak returned home this morning, said Lower Perak police chief ACP Goh Kok Liang.

Several low-lying villages were inundated when Sungai Bidor overflowed since Saturday due to heavy downpour.

In MALACCA, the number of flood victims from the Jasin and Malacca Tengah districts reduced to 102 as of 8am Wednesday compared to 107 on Tuesday night, said a state flood operations room spokesman.

He said 98 people from 21 families from Kampung Tehel were housed at Sekolah Kebangsaan Tehel while four people from two families from Kampung Jalan Tebing Tinggi were sheltered at the Demang Husin Hall in Bukit Katil.

In SELANGOR, 1,820 flood victims from Sepang and Kuala Langat have taken refuge at two relief centres as of 8 am today, said a state operations room spokesman.

He said of them, 1,071 from 224 families were sheltered at Sekolah Kebangsaan Rancangan Tanah Belia Bukit Changgang while 749 from 194 families at the Mile 9 Multipurpose Hall, Jalan Kebun Baru. – Bernama

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/11/7/nation/20121107120304&sec=nation