We are ready to face the floods, says Nazri
The Star, 12 Oct 2012
KUALA TERENGGANU: Terengganu, Kelantan, Kedah, Sabah and Sarawak are expected to be the worst-hit during the monsoon season which starts next month, Central Disaster Management committeechairman Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said.
“We have instructed all agencies to be well prepared with logistical supplies such as boats as well as food rations.”
For Terengganu, Nazri said big floods were expected between Nov 14 and 19 as well as between Nov 27 and 30.
“We hope people can take note of the dates and be prepared for the worst,” he said.
Speaking to reporters after chairing the Terengganu Disaster Management committee meeting here, he said the committee had prepared 353 relief centres in Terengganu which could accommodate 49,052 people.
“The Welfare Department will also be supplying 15 mobile toilets for the relief centres,” he said.
Nazri said the Terengganu Welfare Department had identified 110 front-line bases which would be equipped with supplies such as food and blankets.
“Each base will be able to supply food to a centre for three days.”
He also announced that flood victims who refused to move to relief centres would be required to fill up an “anti-fraud” form to receive aid.
“We have received numerous complaints about such fraud previously, so we want to make sure only deserving recipients get the aid.”
For more information, check http://etindakan.terengganu.gov.my orhttp://portalbanjir.mkn.gov.my.
In ALOR SETAR, the monsoon season is expected to hit Kedah, Perlis and Penang soon.
“We have earmarked several low-lying areas that need to be monitored closely. They are Padang Terap, Kubang Pasu, Pendang, Pokok Sena and Kota Setar.
“We need to be prepared as the floods could be much worse than those in 2010 or it could last much longer this time around,” said Kedah Civil Defence Department operation coordinator officer Saifuddin Abdullah.
Perlis Civil Defence Department director Ishak Md Radzi said Titi Tinggi, Kampung Bakau and Pengaras were flood-prone areas.
“We will be carrying out regular inspection at main rivers,” he said.
As for PENANG, its state Fire and Rescue Department director Azmi Tamat said 250 firefighters were on standby to help evacuate victims.
“We have also conducted checks on the rescue equipment,” he add-ed.
Penang Water Supply Corporation corporate affairs manager K. Jeya-balan said efforts had been taken to reduce water level at Air Itam dam following a spillover on Oct 5 due to heavy rains.
State exco in charge of flood mitigation Law Choo Kiang said all relevant departments had been instructed to carry out maintenance works especially in flood-prone areas such as the Sungai Pinang river bank, Jalan P. Ramlee, Kampung Masjid and Kampung Dodol.